Saturday, July 3, 2010

Movie Reviews: AFI Top 100 #1-3

Ever since I was in a film class in college, I've come to understand and appreciate the art of film and storytelling. I printed out (and memorized at one point) the American Film Institute's Top 100 Films. They re-did the list a few years ago for their anniversary, but most of the movies are the same. Out of the 100, I've almost half already. They have some evaluation process that I'm not sure of, but the films I have seen on the list are great, all for different reasons.

For some of the films it's been awhile since I've seen them, but since I'm a super-organized type, I want to start with the #1 film and go all the way down the list, posting every now and then when my brain isn't producing any kind of awesome blog topic. If you need an idea for a good date movie or night at home, these might be helpful. Here's the first 3:

1. Citizen Kane (1941)
This was the first film I watched in film class at JBU. I wouldn't watch it when you're in a jovial mood - it's kind of a "thinker" movie if you will. The premise is after a publishing tycoon's death, the reporters try to make sense of his life and death. It's kind of a creepy/different perspective, but it's well worth the viewing as their #1 Film of All Time.

Why It's in the Top 100: The message the film brings across is that money and wealth don't buy you anything except for loneliness and isolation. Without spoiling it, at the end of the film you see the simple and basic need the main character wanted; yet could never buy. I'm very happy that this film is #1 for that reason - money won't buy happiness. AFI obviously believes that's a good message, as well as a good movie.

2. The Godfather (1972)
Last summer I watched all three of the Godfather series films, two of which are in the Top 100. The first film chronicles the Corleone family in 1945 and their aging patriarch, Don Vito, or "the Don." Michael, the youngest son, has just returned from war but doesn't want anything to do with the family "business." Through several events, the family changes and has different ideas about how to run the family. The film ends, and though we all know there's two more films, it leaves it open-ended for the possibility of a sequel.

Why It's in the Top 100: There are plenty of stars in this series: Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, and Robert Duvall. The story is very riveting and brings the theme of change from old to new. And it also contains the #2 movie quote as determined by AFI, "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse."


3. Casablanca (1942)
Set in early WWII in Morocco, a cafe owner reunites with an old flame to produce a crazy mix-up of emotions and desire to do anything necessary to get out of Africa.

Why It's in the Top 100: Besides having several of the AFI's Top 100 movie quotes, like "Here's looking at you, kid" and "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship," it's got Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman in it. It's also just a classic love story, the highest rated in the Top 100.


Out of the next three, I've only watched two, so I won't post again until I've seen the third movie. I'm renting them all from the library, so it might be awhile. :)



2 comments:

  1. Did "It ain't personal; it's business." also come from the first Godfather? If so, I'm surprised that isn't one of the top dozen or so if quotes. Maybe I'm not recalling correctly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Casablanca, I remember two more quotes that I like: ".. Round up the usual suspects." and ".. Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine." However, it seems this is also the movie that has a popular misquote: "Play it again, Sam." That's not it, though, is it? Isn't it "Sam, play it." ? Just askin'. Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete