Saturday, February 2, 2013

Entitlement

I am a servant at heart; I love to help and assist people, I love to ease their lives by a small or large act of kindness that I do. In various employment situations as well as volunteer and everyday life, I've been able to use that gift and it's blessed me immensely, as well. Just seeing the joy on someone's face is worth any sacrifice I've made.

Now obviously, it's a lot easier if the person receiving the service or gift wasn't expecting it, is super gracious, and says thank you. I've had the opportunity to take care of a lot of sick roommates and friends, and they've all been great "patients." Some people don't know how to ask for help, so I usually sense their needs before they ask, and some people just appreciate anything you do. There are, of course, those who take advantage of your kindness and overstep the bounds of the service. There are those who expect a trenta iced decaf caramel macchiato and don't understand why their request is ridiculous and out of bounds.

But what are those bounds?

There are countless articles and books about how Americans are an entitled bunch of people. From labeling being entitled as the "American way" to providing a defense for the amount of public policy being pushed for more and more assistance programs, it's amazing. Many of us asked ourselves the question of entitlement when Obamacare was being pushed through the legislature a few years ago. What, exactly, do we deserve? What can we demand and what should we be thankful for?

Plain and simple, I deserve nothing. Yes, I work and receive a paycheck; that's something I deserve for an effort I give. But I certainly don't deserve the friends and community I have. I certainly don't deserve the family that loves me unconditionally. And I certainly deserve all that God has blessed me with in the spiritual realm.

What if we were all simply thankful for what we DO have? If we are continually thankful, we'll continually be humbled by all that we do have and not continually focused on what we don't. We'll realize living in America is actually an amazing privilege that we need to steward well. And it's not that hard to be thankful. You don't have to even believe in God; just be thankful! Make a list every day of what you're thankful for. Start with superficial stuff and then go deeper. I promise it will make a difference in your life. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment