Sunday, January 17, 2010

Church Shopping

Ever since moving back to Lawrence, I grew to understand the importance of being in a church community. I absolutely loved my church, and by the time I left, it had become so comfortable and at home for me. I knew almost all the families, if need be could talk to anyone about how I was doing, and was thoroughly enjoying leading a small group and being a youth group volunteer. Before I moved, I knew I couldn't find a church as amazing as the one I was at, so I was trying to mentally wrap my mind about that.

So since moving to Austin, I've been to 2 different churches and find myself comparing & contrasting order and style of worship, sanctuary temperature, lighting, and never seem to be satisfied. And I realized today that I will NOT find a church just like mine before. It will be different, possibly awkward, and hard to get plugged in at first. But there's no way I can feel that instant community and comfort on my first visit. It will take time.

And that's hard. I want it to be easy.

Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. You'll find a church, I'm sure. And yes, nothing is ever like "home church" but different is still good. It's funny because I compared my Virginia church to my home church in St. Joe and I now I really, really miss my VA church!! I would recommend trying to get into a small group as soon as you decide, a good small group can make or break it!

    ReplyDelete