Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I Did Some New, Scary, Things

If you know me, you might know that while I love people, it's always really hard when I first meet them. I honestly would rather know everyone in a room, even just their name, than meet a whole room full of new people, with new backgrounds, and new blah blah. If this is surprising to you, then that's simply the Lord being awesome, because I never felt awesome at meeting new people.

So in the spirit of being adventurous, I did two new things this week: joined a gym and joined a women's Bible study. The gym story is not so great, but the Bible study story is AMAZING!

Hence, the gym story. So I haven't exercised in over a month and it has really been getting to me. I am an exercise physiologist, so I know what inactivity can do, but more than that I just need exercise every day. It makes me feel alive, healthy, and intentional. So I signed up for a free 7-day pass to the local 24 Hour Fitness and made an appointment to get a tour and activate the pass. I show up, meet my tour guide, go on the tour, etc. At the end, we sit down and I presume we're about to "activate" the pass, whatever that means. Instead, he attempts to sell me membership. Duly noted, that's his job. However, since opening a bank account a week prior, I had not received any way to access my funds (checks, debit card, etc.), and therefore had no way to pay for said membership even if I was interested. I did come in to TRY the gym out, right?

So I tell him this, being honest and letting him know where I stand. Instead of LISTENING to me as I would have done, he tells me that the deal they have going on ends today and it doesn't make sense that I would wait to join. I got a little frustrated and wanted to honestly snap at him, but I didn't. I simply told him again my situation. He repeated his disbelief. I was beyond annoyed. I left not sure if I really wanted to join after that - I did like the gym, it's the closest one to my house, but the guy was rude!

As I pull into my driveway, I spy a small package on the front porch. You guessed it - my checks! I laughed. And then I drove back to the gym and joined, making certain to avoid the first guy as much as possible.

Some things are just funny like that!

Back to how I am not good and dislike meeting new people. I visited a church on Sunday, Austin Bible, and LOVED it. The only reason I can give is that it just felt right. I noticed in the bulletin that there was a Precept women's Bible study on Tuesday night, starting this week. I wasn't 100% sure I was going to join the church, so I felt hesitant about joining a Bible study, but I was really craving (and needing) community. And I love Precept studies.

So tonight, still nervous and hesitant, I drove across town to a lady's house I never met, walked in, and met 8 beautiful and godly women. It was awkward at first, but after realizing we were all there for the same reason, I suddenly felt amazing community and connection. And it felt SO good! We introduced ourselves, and when I explained how I found out about the church (Google) and decided to join the Bible study without knowing anyone, they all were so shocked I was so bold! And so was I! Me, being so courageous! Who is that?

But, I explained, it has to be God in me. I don't normally do these things. And then I realized that He led me there, to that study, to show me that although I don't like meeting new people and being a part of new situations, He will help me, just as He has the past 3 weeks.

And tonight I feel more at peace than I have since moving here. It's awesome!

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! I am so proud of you!!! Sounds like you are getting all settled in...so you know the next step - come to visit Camp Eagle!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete