Friday, October 29, 2010

Yoga

I began yoga practice in college during my junior year. I began in a very small class, led by one of my friends. I then got real excited when I found out one of my instructors taught Hot Yoga, or yoga done in a room that's kept at 90 degrees or hotter. I did that for awhile. When I moved back to Lawrence after graduating from JBU, I went to the yoga classes at KU and supplemented with some Baron Baptiste DVDs. And then when I moved to Austin, I began attending yoga classes at 24 Hour Fitness. So you could say I'm pretty experienced with yoga in general and have attended several types of classes: Hot, Hatha, Vinyasa Flow, Power, and on and on.

In preparation for a talk I'm going to give about Stress Management next month at Camp Eagle, I mentioned to the coordinator that one of the practical experiences I could do was to lead the class in some yoga moves, since yoga is a very highly recommended stress management technique. He wasn't too thrilled, and I was confused. I've had my fair share of "weird" classes, but have not bought into any of the Buddhist or New Age concepts that are often a part of a yoga "practice." In short, I've learned to remain a believing, passionate Christian while also practicing yoga. The coordinator is a good friend of mine, so I asked why he would be uncomfortable with me doing this. He explained that a lot of his professors at Denver Theological Seminary were against it, and he didn't want to step on any toes or lead anyone astray. I conceded that he was the coordinator, so I would respect his wishes.

But what's the big deal? I decided to find out.

Basically, both me and the coordinator have been searching through articles on either side of the issue, trying to not only figure out the truth but also how to present this topic to the students who will be listening. We want THEM to decide and have a good discussion. We've found everything - pros, cons, cautions. And I have to say that I don't know the answer.

I do know, however, that I am not sensing from the Holy Spirit anything negative when I practice yoga. I simply do yoga for the physical, fitness benefits. It's a GREAT workout and really helps to keep me flexible. If there is ever a moment in a class where I'm sensing something New Age-y, I just shut my mind off. I pray. I think about something else. And so far it's worked for me. I believe that you can practice yoga for the fitness and not the spiritual.

I know believers, strong believers that I deeply respect and trust, who have conflicting opinions. So I'm wondering if it's just one of those issues like drinking, baptism, or any other "non-essential" in the Christian life? As with those issues, the real matter is your heart. Where are you at? I think that, above all else, is the only thing you can have an answer to.

I would love to hear anyone's thoughts, too!

1 comment:

  1. This is interesting because I've never really run into any opposition to yoga. I think yoga is great for stress relief and both strengthening and relaxing the body. It is also a good time to think and meditate. I've never had anyone, including a yoga instructor, tell me what to meditate about. I think meditation can be about any personal beliefs. Yoga is totally compatible with thinking about the life of Christ, contemplating how to better live my own life to be more like Him, or praying.

    I suppose if the yoga instructor were trying to lead the class to achieve some sort of meditative state that is incompatible with my beliefs, then that would make me uncomfortable, but I've never run into that.

    ReplyDelete