Monday, September 13, 2010

Here Come the Crazies

I love to be organized. I purchased a few items this weekend like a few baskets and filing boxes and was so soothed by the feeling of peace after I organized the items within them, I was reassured of my inner desire to have everything always organized. I need to sit and think how this all started, but ever since junior high, I've always had a "place for everything and everything in its place." Even at work I tend to tidy up the spaces I find, much to the delight of my mess-inducing coworkers. I even was commissioned on a few family projects like my mom's basement and my father's office at work. I remember my dad saying something like, "You know, Becca, you could start your own business doing this!" I internally thought, first of all, I don't know the first thing about starting a business, and secondly, do people really need organizing that much?

So about a month ago when I was randomly watching Hoarders: Buried Alive, I was surprised to discover that you can be, as a career, a Professional Organizer. And I realized that it is a need. The people on the show were very extreme examples, but I knew there had to be more mild ones. So what did I do? I googled "professional organizer." Whew. I opened a WHOLE new world.

First off, I perused the website of the National Association of Professional Organizers. I learned that there are certifications you can study for and achieve, short, webinar-like classes that can serve as education (since you can't get a degree in organizing), and local chapters of NAPO where you can get plugged in and network with other organizers. If you're interested in finding an organizer as a client, you can search their database and receive a referral.

Then I looked up some Austin-area organizing businesses and browsed those sites, checking rates and services available. I even read the "About Us" section to get a better idea of who these people might be.

That's when I started laughing. Is this a joke?

Nope, it's not. They're just that crazy. Consider this excerpt from Christie's profile: "Christie was born to be a professional organizer. Throughout elementary school, she was well-known for having perfectly organized notebooks and amongst her first home organizing projects was to organize all of her clothes by season and color and alphabetize all of her books. At the end of her senior year in high school, Christie was recognized as “Most Organized Female” in her class."

I was seriously halfway laughing and halfway like, could I ever join these crazies? Their pictures are all nice and neat, straight hair, neat clothing. I looked at my curly, crinkley hair and comfortable style and thought, "Well, if I do ever become a professional organizer, I'll be the rogue and different one." I'm sure ALL of them are Type A, which I am not. My thoughts about doing this myself as a side business were vanishing before me, as well. I no absolutely nothing about starting my own business, and would prefer the security of someone else's efforts and foundation in joining another organizing firm.

Because I'm contemplating joining the crazies, I'm going to the Austin-area chapter's meeting on September 20. It happens to be at my favorite restaurant and according to the president of Arranging It All, who I contacted for information regarding starting in the business, it's a great way to network and find out all you can as you wedge your way into the world of the crazies. He didn't say that last part, but I knew that's what he meant. :)

2 comments:

  1. you'd make a great crazy! er, professional organizer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, you are so going to laugh. This past week we actually had a professional organizer come out to camp and whip our butts into shape! She helped us organize the pole barns, wood barn, tool barn, mechanic shop, paint barn, the kitchen, the office, and about a million other places! I just found it pretty ironic and amusing that you just discovered them right around the time we had one come out here! It was great fun! :)

    ReplyDelete