Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My First Austin Summer in Review

Caveat: Since I Just pulled a 12-hour shift, this post may not be very clear or comprehensive. I don't have the patience for pictures right now, so just imagine what I've posted previously!

If you are like me and measure summer by the months of May-August, then it is appropriate for me to now look back on my first summer in Austin. Mind you this is not my first summer in Texas, as I sweated away as a backpacking guide OUTSIDE at Camp Eagle for 3 summers previously. I have no clue how that was possible, seeing as I observed several times this summer that it was extremely hot and I had no idea how anyone could live outside, such as I did before. I'll chalk it up to my young age. :)

One thing that helped immensely this summer was the blog 365 Things Austin. It's set up by a real estate agent who has set out to blog about 365 things to do in Austin. The summer posts were mostly outdoor activities, which of several I participated. A lot of the activities were free, like the Music Under the Star event, Blues on the Green, Texas State History Museum, Stand-Up Paddling, and the Zilker Hillside Theatre. I also camped at Inks Lake, played around on Lake Travis, and went hiking near Dawn's house, which aren't all free, but close!

In addition, I got to spend lots of time with my family in Kansas and Florida (and here when my mom visited!), and my newest niece, Claire Abigail was born!

I went to several new places to eat and be entertained, like Antonio's, the Oasis, and Alamo Draft House, which are all Austin-favorites. I still have a few more on my list, but don't worry, there's plenty of time.

All in all, my first Austin summer was AMAZING! There is so much to do in this city and a lot of it is focused on family-friendly, healthy activities. The vibe is definitely one of "come on, join us!" and everyone I've met is very welcoming.

Now comes the fall, crazy right?! Let's see what adventures I can find next!

No comments:

Post a Comment