Monday, December 20, 2010

Thoughts on my trip home

1. When is it time to split up the large family gathering? At both of my parents' family's gatherings, comments were made about how it just seems too much to get everyone together. It's mostly due to the age of my grandparents, who are hosting, and seem really stressed about even just that. You can certainly alleviate any stress by having the family bring all the food and the host not having to make anything, but even then one of my grandmas was still stressed. I'm just wondering when you make the decision to do Christmas in smaller gatherings? Surely you want to see everyone, but sometimes the family just gets too big. My mother's family stopped meeting at our grandma's house when I was little and moved the gathering (up to 30 people) to the church basement and most recently the community center. But now the community center is being bought, so I'm not sure what will happen. My grandma suggested us just going out to eat, but I think potlucks are so much fun! Hmmm.

2. My family is so comfortable and feels so right when I'm around them. I'm amazed that we can catch up and talk just as if it was yesterday that we saw each other. And I love that the houses and people are the same - certainly, with some changes - but for the most part, the same. It's such a comfort, especially this past year with A LOT of changes, to have some things be the same. Sigh.

3. This isn't related to home, but I'm increasingly amazed at the relationship between salt and water. I have to put salt into my humidifier to make it turn into steam. I put salt in my nasal rinse bottle. If you eat too much salt and lots of water, you may retain water and gain weight. Water follows salt. Yet they're almost opposites - one dries out and one moisturizes. Interesting.

4. This week will be a good week to catch up at work and home after my long trip, host some Christmas gatherings and be with friends, and generally relax and get some projects done. The two projects I'm thinking of are scrapbooking-related: first is to finish my personal scrapbook up until my move to Texas (one year ago). I'm usually up to date, but I've neglected it for the past year. My other project is to "stitch" together the 12" x 12" scanned scrapbook pages of my Grandma May's album. I had to scan them in two parts for each page since my scanner isn't 12x12, so part of the project will be looking for a free software that stitches pictures. They make it for PCs, but not Macs, as far as I've seen. Anyone with expertise in this area? :)

5. I love my family! I'm super blessed to know them and have them a part of my life. At one point, one of my uncles told me he appreciated my faith and positive outlook despite my circumstances. It filled him with joy to see the "younger" generation praising God and following after Him. Little comments like that just make me so happy to be a part of the family I am - one that loves God, too! :)

1 comment: