Thursday, October 20, 2011

Day in the Life

I'm sure you have some idea of what I do, but after explaining my job about 30 times this past weekend at homecoming, I realized a description from the Bureau of Labor Statistics isn't quite the key and a better descriptor would be a day in the life blog post. I must give a caveat in that MWF and T/R are quite different, but this should help you nonetheless. Here we go!

5:30 AM This is when my alarm goes off.
5:45 AM This is typically when I actually roll (literally, roll) out of bed
Eat breakfast, spend time with Jesus, shower/get ready
7:00 AM Leave, make a monotonous and boring drive up I-35 (on MWF, I leave at 6:15)
7:30 AM Arrive at work, turn on lights, check crash cart, glucometer tests
Pull inpatient orders off the printer, research on Meditech (online medical records database), update acct numbers, answer emails
8:00 AM Interns arrive, plan study and activites for the morning, fill out eval for one intern who's advisor I'm meeting with tomorrow
8:30 AM Finally get up to the floor to see inpatients! First patient: stent
9:15 AM Documentation - this is the bane of my existence as an EP, I just don't get it! Very redundant
9:30 AM Meet with a patient in cath lab holding area who needs CABG surgery but is anxious - very sweet and touching. Success! She agrees to surgery.
10:30 AM Return to floor, see another stent patient & document
11:30 AM Type up outpatient schedule for next week on Excel (I like this stuff - organized, neat, planning!)
12:30 PM Lunch outside in the courtyard! So nice!
1:00 PM Afternoon outpatient clinic - sit at monitor while intern takes BPs, talk to pts, review charts
2:30 PM Write reports from outpatient clinic, answer more emails
3:00 PM Potential intern for Spring 2012 interview, on the phone from GA
3:30 PM Copy patient charts to be sent over to HIM - read: boring!
4:00 PM Leave!

On MWF, there's more outpatient clinic, interactions, teaching pts weights and how to use machines, as well as performing exercise evals. And then this week, I went to a health fair two separate days and did body fat/BMI and BP screenings. I definitely love the variety of my job and the contact I get with people everyday. There's always something new, some new challenge, and some new person to connect with and encourage in their life. LOVE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment