Saturday, July 10, 2010

An Update on Being New

I recently reminded myself that my blog is subtitled, "I'm New Here," which means I need to write specifically to that topic if possible. I feel that writing every entry about the new things I'm doing and/or how I'm progressing in my transition would be quite boring, especially if that was 2-3 times a week. Time gives a better perspective, so here's my latest update on "being new."

Several months ago, I posted a list of place to visit in Austin that my friend Mark had suggested. Since then, I've completed a few more of them:

1. Attending Blues on the Green in Zilker Park with Dawn, Laney, and Sarah on Wednesday evening. I noticed as we were walking to the park that there's awesome sand volleyball courts there but so far my success in finding information about an indoor or outdoor league has failed.

2. I visited the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum in April with my roommate on the first Saturday of the month, which made admission free! It was good, informative and visual look at the history of Texas.

My mother is coming to visit in a week, and I'm planning on checking off two more things from the list: Alamo Draft House (to see Toy Story 3) and eating at The Oasis. If she's feeling up to it, we might even attempt to "climb" Mount Bonnell.

As far as feeling "new," it's slowly fading away. Summer in Austin is a GREAT time to see the city and I'm constantly amazed at the free and fun stuff there is to do! I'm a regular follower of the 365 Things to Do in Austin Texas blog, which is where I'm beginning to get a lot of my ideas for what Austin has to offer. Next week I plan on practicing my Stand-up Paddling skills on Monday, seeing a free concert & eating free food on Friday at the museum, and then seeing Annie in Zilker's Hilltop Theater on Saturday. So much to do!

In other realms of life, work is still awesome and becoming really fun and rewarding. I'm finally settling into my role and learning how to expand my ideas for projects. I'm also learning all there is to about having a full-time job! I had no idea! Everything from yearly evaluations & raises to professional behavior and respect, it's so different. I'm getting more involved in my church, Austin Stone, and planning on visiting a few small groups these next few weeks in anticipation of joining them in the fall and meeting new people my age at the Stone!

All in all, I'm understanding that Austin is an awesome place to live and I'm becoming more excited about why the Lord has brought me here! It's really exciting and crazy, but I'm loving it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment