Monday, August 16, 2010

The Pre-Pack

The weekend was wonderful - I went out to Camp Eagle to help out. One of the events was a 100th Birthday Party Weekend for Grandma Grace. Oh, let me tell you about Grandma Grace. My first summer I was introduced to her by my boss as not only at the ripe old age of 94 and our director's grandmother, but an amazing prayer warrior. Already I felt an awe of her faith for the willingness to pray for Camp Eagle and it's staff. This weekend even furthered my admiration. There was at least 150 people gathered together to celebrate a century of this amazing, godly woman, and at times it brought me to tears, especially when she prayed over her family. One major highlight was the cake - and I'm sorry I don't have pictures - but it was gargantuan! It could've fed at least 500 people! It was somewhere around 4 feet by 4 feet. Each family member decorated an edible "quilt square" that was then "stitched" together to form a giant family quilt (Grandma Grace loves quilting) which was the cake. It was ridiculous. Ridiculous!

I stayed a bit longer on Sunday and didn't get home until late because I didn't feel the need to get back to rest up for another week of work. Why, you say? Because I'm stinking GOING ON VACATION!!!!! I leave Wednesday to see these two little squirts:



Which brings me to the Pre-Pack. The Pre-Pack is a time-honored tradition that reduces stress, relieves anxiety, and allows time to plan for a vacation. Approximately 2 days before I take off on a trip (or more if I'm really excited), I make The List. The List outlines what outfits I'm planning for the airport days, clothing amounts, accessories, and any other extras that are special to the particular trip (camera, gifts for nieces, etc.). I then lay out all that I have clean on my bed and take stock. What am I missing? All those items go on a sticky note. If laundry needs to be done, that's the day to do it so I'm not waiting on the dryer the night before I leave. The day before I leave I glance at my sticky note and see what's missing again and what I can contribute. The time between the Pre-Pack and the Departure allows me to remember extra things I want to bring or might have forgotten if I was rushed to pack, thus relieving the stress and anxiety of travel.

You might have just read the above paragraph and decided that I am over-organized and anal. Thank you. It has served me well. :)

Here's to Marco Island in 2 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment