Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I Have No Clue What I'm Doing!

Short update: vaca was awesome. Any time that you spend with a ridiculously adorable 2-year old girl and holding/rocking/cuddling with a 8-week old baby is some QT. Not to mention hanging with my bro, SIL, and even my mom joined the fun! I also spent a good amount of time at the beach, mostly just sitting. Not. Doing. Anything. It was great! I really miss and love my family, and being "alone" in Austin gets to me sometimes, so the lil' reunion was fun. Check pics on Facebook.

So I returned to work yesterday, all charged up and ready to go! My energy soon dissipated when I saw the enormous amount of tasks ahead of me in addition to my supervisor taking leave for a family issue, leaving a bit more responsibility to me. One of these tasks is to coordinate the Start! Heart Walk put on as a fundraiser by the American Heart Association, which we, as Cardiac Rehab, are heavily involved in. I have been designated by inheritance as the Company Leader. As in THE WHOLE HOSPITAL. As in COORDINATE YOUR COMPANY'S INVOLVEMENT. ALL OF IT. Now, I must say I'm not doing this ALL by myself, I have some minions that are working with me, but really I am doing quite a lot of it alone. Did I mention I've never done this before? Not only never done this walk before, but never ever coordinated any kind of corporate fundraising effort at all. I have zilch experience encouraging and being creative with slogans, fundraising ideas, and ways to basically get people's money.

But I'm the Company Leader.

It brought me back to when I worked at Camp Eagle and had the bright idea of our staff shirt slogan to be "We don't know what we're doing!" Because in ministry, really, you don't know what you're doing. Sure you're doing SOMETHING, but it's God who really works in the lives around you. The administration nixed the slogan idea because they thought parents would take it literally. :)

And then I thought about how when I was younger I was always amazed that adults with jobs seemed like they knew exactly what they were doing all the time. It didn't take long into my college career to learn that most adults (besides the brainiacs and doctors) have a working, foundational knowledge of what they're doing and trained to do, but there are still holes in their knowledge and they DON'T know EVERYTHING.

So even though I have no clue what I'm doing, I'm going to pretend like I do and ask lots of questions. I'm going to delegate, probably in the form of telling someone to do something I've never done before and actually don't know how to do. And I'm going to take tedious notes so that next year I can adamantly say.... I still don't know what I'm doing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment