Monday, April 5, 2010

Book Review: Secret Life of Bees

It came out awhile ago, but I spotted it at Half Price Books for only $3, so I figured I could afford that. It was a quick read and kept me interested; it also had very convenient chapter lengths, perfect for that 10-15 minutes after I get in bed and before I fall asleep.

Synopsis: The novel follows Lily, a white girl immersed in Southern black culture in the summer of 1964, right after the Civil Rights Act is declared law. She doesn't remember much about one afternoon when she was younger when her mother was killed, but all she has is her father who really is not a father. She runs away with their housekeeper, Rosaleen, and by divine intervention are taken in by 3 sisters who are beekeepers. Through her time with the sisters, she essentially deals with her past and learns to love and find healing in her newfound family.

What I liked: Like I said earlier, convenient chapter lengths. I also liked how there were several events that made you keep reading to find out what happens. And the way it all comes together at the end, including the interweaving of the bees and beekeeping is well thought out.

What I didn't like: Not much!

Has anyone seen the movie and would recommend it?

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes. That movie is so good. Queen Latifah, Jennifer Hudson, and Dakota all fit together so well. I think I might netflix that and watch it again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i looove this book so very much! haven't seen the movie yet though. thanks for the congratulations! we are very very excited! hope you're doing well my friend!

    ReplyDelete