Friday, April 2, 2010

There's Always Sunday

Yesterday during lunch, my coworker Joanne mentioned to me that every Good Friday when she was growing up, she would notice how it would always be cloudy and then storm around noon. I thought it was pretty interesting and couldn't remember if that was the case of my childhood. We discussed how it was really Biblical and also kind of cool. The references in the gospels don't mention a storm, but they do mention "darkness over the land" and an earthquake.

So today as I was walking across a large parking lot during work I looked around. Darkness and lots of clouds. And I all of a sudden got fearful - that kind of godly fear that strikes you when you realize how powerful God is. I understood that on that day, so many years ago, when Christ did actually, physically die, it was like this. It was dark. It was sad. The Father was sending His Son to die, and He had to forsake His Son in order to pay for our sins. I understood how grave and serious it was. And I was in awe of God's power, realness, and mercy.

But there's always Sunday.

In a conversation tonight with a friend, I learned of a most beautiful and inexplicable joy: a relationship redeemed and restored. This relationship had been full of misunderstandings, hurtful actions, and realizations of each other's deepest fears. I had walked with one of the friends through the tough time, prayed for her, and pleaded with God for restoration, forgiveness, and open hearts. And it happened! I was so happy you would've though someone was getting married, having a baby, etc. But I realized that I was so joyful because it was an example of Christ rising from the dead - He did so that He could redeem our relationship with God. Redemption, forgiveness, restoration, open hearts, all there.

How joyous!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had paid more attention to the weather on Friday, I was working inside. But I just looked at the weather from that day and it was rainy in the morning. Godly fear indeed.

    And yesterday was gorgeous weather.

    Next year I'm going to be more observant.

    ReplyDelete